Safkhet Publishing ~ Summer Reads

Sunday 22 January 2012

Goodreads Review ~ A Year Like No Other

A Year Like No OtherA Year Like No Other by Pauline Lawless

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

 A Year No Like Other brings together four women to live for a year in the beautiful city of Paris: Ashling, who loves all things French and can’t wait to go. Taylor, a prescription drug addict, spoilt and tolerated by her husband, is less thrilled. Felicity, a nervous unworldly woman dominated by her mother, is petrified at the prospect, but determined to do her duty to her husband. For beautiful, ambitious Jazz, who has relationship issues, the relocation is a career move and will also allow her space to take stock.

First off, I must congratulate Pauline Lawless on transporting the reader to the wonderful, eclectic city of Paris. From the cosy Parisian Café, Les Deux Magots, to the colourful Montmartre, I was there. To the story. What I wanted from the book was to see how the women changed in an environment vastly different from their own, as surely they must. Would they grasp the chance to grow and flourish? Or would they be unable to break free of ingrained traits and habits and flounder? Would their relationships be altered? The author didn’t fail to deliver. For some, it was a happy journey of personal discovery as they embraced opportunity. For one, whose weaknesses held her back, the journey was less fruitful. I enjoyed A Year Like No Other immensely. So much so, it sent me off in search of another of the author’s books. Thank you, Pauline, for an extremely pleasurable read.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

Stepping Out of the Page said...

Wow - this sounds great! This really appeals to me just for the fact that it is set in Paris! It seems as though you loved it too, I can't wait to check it out for myself. Great review :)