Safkhet Publishing ~ Summer Reads

Saturday 2 November 2013

Grumpy Old Menopause by Carole E Wyer - Sneak Peek Review.

Grumpy Old MenopauseGrumpy Old Menopause by Carol E. Wyer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Grumpy Old Menopause Whatever you do, don’t mention … the menopause!! If you do, make sure it’s preceded by the words ‘Grumpy Old…’ and followed by a demand for the book on prescription from your doctor. What a tonic! My mouth curved into a smile a few pages in. By the exercise section I was guffawing out loud. I kid you not. The fishing joke had tears streaming down my cheeks. The book takes an informative, yet easily digestible, look at the serious ‘shhhhh’ subject (sadly still labelled ‘women’s problems’, ergo a mystery to the male of the species).

The author has obviously done her research on tried and tested remedies for symptoms of the menopause, including the propensity to burst into tears and do something drastic with one’s husband, supplying links to further research, along with suggestions, where appropriate, to seek medical advice before embarking on said remedies. Carol’s easy to read style of writing and razor sharp wit, however, make the reading of this intelligently written book an absolute delight. She talks about gifts you should buy (or, more importantly, shouldn’t buy on risk of being garrotted) a woman of a certain age. If you’d like a recommendation for the perfect gift, in my estimation, Grumpy Old Menopause is it. The book is insightful, informative and possibly the most uplifting tonic you could take. An absolute must-read – for Her and For Him. If you are a woman struggling with the symptoms of the Menopause, read it. If you are man living with a woman, etc, ditto. Trust me, Carol E Wyer’s book will make the whole thing much more bearable. It tells you you are NOT alone, despite the ‘menopause’ word still often being whispered in hushed tones. It allows you to laugh. More, it makes you realise it’s essential and acceptable to. My advice: buy one for each other, maybe as a stocking-filler this Christmas. Keep it on the bedside table. Men, flash it at your wife (the book, that is) when she’s having a flush. Hopefully, you’ll raise a smile even though she’s feeling distinctly wobbly. Children of MM’s (Menopausal Mum’s), this is a gift she WILL most definitely appreciate. In short, I loved it! Highly recommended!


View all my reviews

1 comment:

Carol E Wyer said...

Sheryl Browne, I loved you before this and I love you even more now! Thank you for this incredible review. I am hugging myself with glee and might even go and give Mr Grumpy a hug for no good reason. That'll worry him!